Finishing Your Retaining Wall
Allan Block offers a great variety of finishing options for your retaining wall. Finish a retaining wall with a product and a style that fits the landscape.
Capping AB, AB Aztec & AB Europa Walls
Capping Retaining Walls
Retaining wall finished with capstones
Retaining wall finished with rock
Allan Block Capstones are available to finish the top of the wall. Capstones can be modified to fit any retaining wall shape. Learn how to cut capstones for curved retaining walls as well as retaining walls with corners.
Finishing walls with Plantings or Mulch
Finish retaining wall with mulch
Top retaining wall with plants
Allan Block's patented raised front lip provides a perfect built-in edging where you can simply use rock, mulch, grass or planting soil to complete your retaining wall with an attractive, natural look.
Capping AB Fieldstone
Finishing an AB Fieldstone Retaining Wall
Install filter fabric
Filter fabric is used on top of the top course of blocks and below the caps to cover the back of the AB Fieldstone anchoring units. This will allow plantable soil to be placed flush against the cap unit.
- Place a strip of filter fabric along the top of the AB Fieldstone anchoring units on the top course of wall. Position so that the fabric starts at the back of the AB Fieldstone facing unit and goes over the AB Fieldstone anchoring unit and down along the back of the anchoring unit.
- Be sure to leave the top surface of the facing unit exposed so that the cap sealant can be placed on the facing unit.
- Finish the wall with AB Capstones. Place the first capstone on the wall to include a 1.5 - 2 in. (40 - 50 mm) overhang.
Secure retaining wall caps
AB Fieldstone Cap
- Run a string line the length of wall to mark placement of additional capstones.
- To get a consistent point, use the 45° chamfers at the end of each cap as alignment points for string line.
- Use a flexible masonry adhesive, NP1 or equivalent, to secure the capstones in place. Put a small bead of sealant along the sides of the caps as well.
- Backfill behind the last course and behind the AB Capstone with impermeable fill to allow for planting up to the back of the wall.
- Note: To help hold the filter fabric in place while backfilling, place a spot of sealant between the fabric and the anchoring unit.
Install caps to create shadow line